Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pu Pu Point


Yesterday the girls and I hiked Pu Pu Point in Issaquah. I had done it once before and loved it so much. And seeing as how my goal is to get our family healthier, more active and happier...I decided to take the girls up there. It was a beautiful sunny morning! We totally lucked out in the weather department.


I wasn't sure if they would make it all the way up, seeing as how we haven't done too much hiking before...just the easier hikes at Mt. Rainier. But I let them take a lot of breaks. Halfway up we stopped, had some string cheese and took a few pics. Hikers coming down kept giving them encouragement....telling them they were doing awesome and could make it to the top. At one point Reese said, "I can't wait until we're the ones coming down!"


When we were really close to the top, but didn't know it...they started to get really tired and wondered if we would ever get there. I kept telling them it would be worth it when we reached the top! They were wanting to take breaks every minute...so I told them we would walk slow, but had to walk for at least 10 minutes before we took another break. This worked well, and we reached to top in no time.



And it was worth it. They really loved the view. We ate sandwiches and drank our drink. The girls had enough energy to even play tag. The top is where the parasailers jump off of tiger mountain down to Hobart-Issaquah road. There was one parasailer wanting to jump, but I guess the wind wasn't right because he packed up and left. Other jumpers/parasailers were carrying their packs and talking about the disappointing wind.
There are two jumping points...we went to the first. We decided that we'd go to the second next time, and if I remember right, it's about another 15 minutes of hiking past the first.

I was so proud of them. They had a great feeling of accomplishment and the way down went smoothly. Except - Ash had to find a place to use the bathroom. It was difficult because there was almost always someone on the trail. And with the trail full of switchbacks, even if there weren't people right by you, you never had much privacy. But we found a spot and she did it. It may have been the first time she had to pee in the wilderness. Which I find hard to believe but she needed a bit of instruction on how to not get wet ;)

Isn't it a beautiful view! I can't wait to do it again with them.....and I'm wondering if Josie can make it.

P.S. At the top of this post, you'll see the graph my garmin came up with for our hike. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get up and about an hour to get down. 1.75 miles up with a 1,600 ft elevation climb....I think :)

8 comments:

Bennett Family said...

great work! check out the issaquah fly in next july. you can go tandem paragliding for 1/2 price - we've done it twice. SO FUN!

Zappe Family said...

How fun!!! I love that you took them and that they enjoyed it too! I've never been there...now we'll have to go there too!

Laurie said...

I really like the attitude of your blog. Happy birthday to your hubby! I have a great sour cream dough cinnamon roll recipe, but I haven't made them in years...you are inspiring me! 'Though I'd be better off being inspired by your hike!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway. I hope you'll be back to visit again soon!

Sarah J. said...

Great job, girls! Now I'm totally itching to try that hike. With Jake and I both growing up here, we've never done that one (and Jake grew up about 10 minutes from there!). Proud of your family for your new "lifestyle!" Doesn't it feel great?!

Scheris said...

SO PROUD OF YOU AND THE GIRLS!!!! Keep it up. Endorphins taste better than food anyway... at least I keep trying to remember that when I sight a cookie within my reach.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great hike. I'll have to try it sometime. The view looks amazing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Micki said...

Shannon,
I can't find your email on your blog, and I am happy to tell you that you won my giveaway for the OWOH event. Please email me and send me your address, so I can send it to you. You have till the 18th of February to tell me. I am so happy that you won!
Micki
#123
Of Irish Muses