Monday, August 17, 2009

I TRI'd it and I loved it!

It was SO FUN!!!
I was doing this triathlon with my sisters, Tiffany and Cami, and my niece Sara. The night before the race we chatted too long and only got about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs of sleep.
When we got to Waterfront park we were all jittery - not knowing what to expect. We took our bikes down to the racks and tried to prepare ourselves.

This is my transition area. My towel right next to my bike. Yes, that is a cute skateboard helmet and not a bike helmet. I may invest in a new helmet so I look like a real cyclist. My socks are rolled down so they'd be easy to slip on over wet feet. My number is pinned to my shirt so it'll be ready for my run.

Here we are before the race, showing off our numbers. With numbers on the arm you REALLY feel like a triathlete. They told me too look mean but I couldn't stop laughing. I just wanted to get started already!!!!

This is the 1st wave heading into the water. Here, your heart starts pounding, goosebumps are forming, and you begin doubting you'll remember how to swim.
But I did - and I loved it. I have to say swimming was my favorite part of the triathlon. The water felt so good once I started going. If I felt any panic I just did what helps me keep my rhythm in the water - go through multiplication tables in my head. (I know, totally nerdy.) One thing I did not expect is how dizzy I was when I came out of the water! I couldn't run a straight line up the hill to the transition area!
Swim 1/4 mile - 11 min 20 sec
I took longer than I needed in my 1st transition I started washing my feet with my water, then realized it didn't really matter so I put on my shoes with bits of sand and grass in my socks. Also, I walked through my transitions. I didn't run like others - I was too nervous of falling or going the wrong way. Plus I needed to catch my breath.
Transition 1 - 3 min 27 sec
The bike was super fun too. This is when you first start hearing the other people say things like: good job! keep it up! you're doing great! as they pass you. Which seems a little weird maybe, but to a first timer is so encouraging. Sometimes I got a little sidetracked, like when the geese flew in a HUGE V-formation overhead and I almost wrecked watching them instead of the road. I was most grateful to the woman who passed me with a bike computer and told me we were half way there. I want a bike computer:) I was most scared when the volunteer pointed out the gravel to my right, right when I was trying to make a left turn down a steep hill. In fact, I said aloud, "I'm scared." as I rode past her.
Bike 10 miles - 43 min 57 sec
I was slow during my second transition also. In fact I remember at one point, just standing and staring at my transition towel thinking, huh, shouldn't I be doing something?
Transition 2 - 2 min 3 sec
The run was what I was dreading the most because I'm not a great runner anyways. I only average about 12 minute miles. And that's WITHOUT having just swam or rode a bike. So I trudged along, stopping to stretch out my cramping calf/hobbit foot a few times. I was grateful for the water stations, teary-eyed at the kids holding posters for their mom and laughing at the lady talking on her cell phone, "Ya, I'm running right now..."
Run 3 miles - 39 min 32 sec
But it felt SO AMAZING to come in across the finish line and see I had achieved my cushy goal of under 2 hours.
Total time - 1 hr 40 min 22 sec
And I can't wait to beat it next year!

11 comments:

Vicki said...

Congratulations! That is such a huge accomplishment. I am a big wimp and scared to death of triathlons, so I am super impressed with anyone who does them. Way to go! You are awesome.

Miss Tiff said...

Yay Shannon! You did so awesome and that was so fun- I can't wait until next year. I loved your post.

Leslie Behunin said...

Shannon!!! That is AWESOME! I can't even imagine how that would feel! Way to go!!!

debi said...

amazed...and inspired

Lynnae said...

Woo! I just gave you a big Wooo! Aside from how awesome you are, and how the writing on your post makes me feel like I'm right there, I'm jeleous because I have never had a number written on my arm. That is so cool!

Scheris said...

great job.. keep it up!

Zappe Family said...

Congrats. That's wonderful! And...you had a smile on your face in each picture. Love it!

Artzy Heart said...

Way to go! I am so totally proud of you, but I have to ask this question...Why DO you look so good in all your pictures? I am so blessed to have these amazing, wonderful daughters...and great nieces too. OK...the sons and nephews also rock!

Sarah J. said...

Awesome! I'm so proud of you! What a feeling of accomplishment- good for you!

Unknown said...

Oh man I am crying over your post! YOu guys are so awesome nd I love that our family is getting PHYSICAL and challenging each other!
I want to come. I am scared of biking. I don't even have a bike! But maybe Santa can bring one.....
Are you doing it agian? Let's get in on it! That will mean I can't try out for the show.....

Unknown said...

I forgot to say I love the details baout the cell phone, posters, and gravel.
You are such a good writer.