Monday, January 25, 2010

Love this story

I copied this from one of my fav blogs Triathlon Goddess (click here.)
I love this story.

"The pros had finished the Chicago Triathlon two hours before and I was headed out of transition to go to pack and catch a redeye flight home that night. I was walking past the finish chute which, when the pros and early finishers came through, was packed with people screaming and cheering. Then here comes this woman, who is a little heavyset, coming around the corner. There is not a soul standing along the fence cheering. But as I am walking, I see her coming, and notice that she is looking at the clock. I turn around and it shows about 20-25 seconds to get under the four hour mark. So when she saw it, she just went into this all out sprint. I put my bike on the grass and I started yelling 'Go!' And then I started crying. That is actually my favorite moment of all in triathlon. I’ll never forget it. Her eyes locking into that clock and thinking: ‘I’m going to get in there. For me. I’m just about dead last. No one is watching me. No one cares. But I’m gonna do it for me.’ That's triathlon. And so that's a beautiful thing.”

2004 ITU World Champion Sheila Taormina on her favorite moment in the sport



-Get out and do something that inspires you today! :)

7 comments:

Sarah J. said...

That is so awesome! YOU inspire ME! And who knows... maybe I'll even sign up for another triathlon this year....

SheilaC said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and visiting my OWOH event! It was a pleasure to meet you!


SheilaC

http://myemptynestisfullofcathair-sheilac.blogspot.com/

Lynnae said...

That did bring a tear to my eye. It's hard for others to realize that making our personal goals is sometimes more exciting than winning the whole thing.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. Your name has been added to the hat.

I am really enjoying my visit to your blog and will definitely be back to read some more. So glad to have met you.

Artzy Heart said...

You girls are amazing and a total inspiration...I've been looking into gyms and found a new one is opening up close to that quilting fabric shop--right across the street from the new highschool. Love the photo.

Shona Cole said...

Shannon, that is an inspiring story. I just love that photo of your daughter in her tutu, I have a few girls myself who look like that, wearing ballet gear as clothing! so fun.
thanks for taking the time to visit my giveaway. All the best to you and you sweet family

shona
http://shonastudio.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Freak , Shannon, now I crying. Thank you so much for that.
SOmedays I wish I was faster or better or stronger, but you know what? I am doing it for me, and I love how I feel, and this story is brilliant.

I am printing it up for future use....

I love you